Monday, September 21, 2009

is this real?

I saw him there. I didn't think I would, but there he was. I had hoped... imagined...dreamed...but never really believed. Whether I believed or not, there he was. As gorgeous as I remembered, to me, anyway. Light brown hair tousled just so, blue-grey eyes taking everything in...and then those eyes caught mine and my breath caught in my throat. I felt the world stop around me; it blurred away to nothing but me and him. Our eyes held for a moment. I moved my head slightly, subtly, toward the door, asking him silently to meet me outside. He nodded back at me just as slightly. Anyone watching us would not have noticed the entire conversation we had in those small movements. I slipped away from my husband and the rest of the crowd and pushed through the door into the cool evening air. I wrapped my arms around myself as if fending a chill but really I was just trying to still my nerves. Loud heartbeats passed the time, pounding in my ears as I waited. And just at the moment I started to question whether he was going to meet me, the doors opened, and there he was. I didn't realize I'd been holding my breath until he was within arms' reach and I exhaled.
"Hi." I said.
"Hey." He answered.
I took another deep breath and plunged right in: "So do you hate me now, or what?"
"Is that what you think?" He squinted at me when he said this.
"I don't want to think that, but..."
"Lola, you know I..."
"I know." I nodded and sighed a bit.
"It's just that she and I..."
"I know. I know, I do, but...I miss you."
Then it was his turn to sigh.
"I'm sorry," I said, "It's just that, well, you just let go. You just let me go and it was so easy for you...It'll never be that easy for me."
"You think this is easy for me?"
"You seem to be doing just fine." I said this with more bite than was necessary and I saw the flash of pain behind his eyes. "I mean, you're gone, and you have her, and I'm here...without you. It's not like I'm alone, either, but..."
"I know. You know how I feel about you."
"No, I don't. I don't because you never tell me. You give me nothing but I still can't let go. I don't want to. Damnit. I didn't want to say that."
"Lola, you should know. You know me well enough to know, to know what my silence means. You know why I'm not around anymore. It's all just...it's too much."
"But don't you want that? Isn't too much exactly what everyone wants?"
"Please don't...We're not getting into this again."
"I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you. Well, now, that's not entirely true..." I said flirtatiously, one eyebrow cocked at him as I looked up through my eyelashes.
He smiled, in spite of himself.
I smiled back, in spite of myself.
"We should probably, you know..." He nodded toward the door.
"What? You afraid she'll come looking for you? Would there be hell to pay if she found us out here together?"
"Please don't do that."
"I'm sorry. Again."
"You are forgiven. As always."
"We'll go in, but I want one thing from you first."
"Lola, I'm not kissing you out here...not like this."
"No, darling, that's not what I want."
"Okay...?"
I looked down at the ground and gathered my strength. "Please just say it. Tell me you miss me. That you still want me. That you love me. I want to hear it from you, just once." I didn't want to beg, but all I wanted was to hear him tell me how I knew he felt about me. And if that meant I had to beg to hear it, then beg I would. "Please. Please?" I finally looked back up into his eyes.
He reached out to me and took one of my hands in one of his. My heart stuttered. I felt a bit lightheaded. God, how I wanted him...
"You know how I feel about you. You know it in your heart. But I can't give you what you want. I can't say it. If I tell you...If I admit this out loud to myself, much less to you now, then everything we've built will fall apart. I will never be able to look you in the eye again. I will never be able to look your husband in the eye again. We will be finished. I mean it. There will be nothing left of us."
In spite of myself, I felt my eyes well with tears. Knowing in my heart how he felt and hearing it pass his lips were two different things, and at that moment I felt both sentiments were absent.
"Damnit, can't you just...?"
"No."
"Just once, just give me this..."
"NO."
The finality in his voice, the firm reserve, told me I would get nowhere by arguing with him.
"Fine. But I'll never forget this. The one time I asked you for something...something you could give me so easily...You know what? Never mind. I get it--you've given me all I'm going to get from you tonight. But I'm not going to give up."
He closed his eyes and dropped his head for a moment. I watched him. I watched him struggle, just for that brief moment. And I felt myself lose that struggle as he reached out for me, hugged me, kissed the top of my head, and then let go of me as he walked away.
I shivered again and fought to keep from blinking the tears out of my eyes and down my cheeks. I took a deep breath and I walked away from the tension that was still palpable in the air around me. I smoothed my hair and my dress and I walked proudly back to my husband, my reality, my grounding. I walked away from the fantasy but I'll never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment